Monday, December 22, 2008

The Mystic Years

Don't you love this term Dr. Harrison introduced in her presentation!

I very much appreciate Dr. Harrison's historical prespective presentation since I grew up in middle Tennessee. It was a refresher which placed things in a timeline that I had missed since my Mississippi history comes piecemeal from books read.

While discussing this brief era of enlightenment after the Civil War, I was reminded of a book I read last summer. The title is Redemption: The Last Battle of the Civil War by Nicholas Lemann. Author Lemann presents an unbias account of this time period by writing as if he were there watching it unfold. Readers will get both sides of each turning point such as the Easter Sunday Massacre of 1873 in Colfax, Louisiana, where a genteel, white lady writes of her knowledge versus actual interviews conducted with the surviving black families. I consider the book enjoyable narrative nonfiction of heart-wrenching events.

As if you need more to read! *smiles* ~ Maggie

No comments: